I’m trying to come up with a warm weather vacation spot for this fall. Since it’s been awhile since I’ve been to the Caribbean, I thought this might be a good time to plan a return trip. Barbados, an island that I’ve not yet visited, is looming at the top of a pretty short list.
Here are 10 reasons why I think visiting Barbados may be a good choice for me:
- I haven’t been there before, and visiting a new country takes me a step closer to the Century Club.
- It’s a small island, only about 14 by 21 miles, with over 70 miles of powdery, white sand beaches. Plenty of great spots to pull up a lounge chair and spend some quality time.
- Sun year round. Over 3,000 hours of sunshine a year, in fact. And that means year round warm temperatures of about 80-85 degrees. What’s not to like about that?!
- Tax free shopping in chic boutiques, modern department stores, and trendy shops making it a great spot for buying something wonderfully decadent.
- Warm water. Perfect temperatures for enjoying water activities like swimming with the turtles, snorkeling, or a boat ride.
- Great food and drink. Those who know me well were probably wondering when I’d get around to this topic. With strong influence from around the world, Barbados gives a special twist to Caribbean cuisine. And then there’s the Mount Gay rum!
- Favorable exchange rate. The practical side of me always looks for good value, and $1 US equals $1.98 BDS. More bang for the buck.
- Internet is available. A girl’s got to blog, you know.
- English is the primary language. After navigating Italian and Croatian this summer, it would be nice not to have to worry about communication on my next trip.
- History and culture. Continuously under British rule until its independence in 1966, Barbados still has a strong British flavor about it. Besides, this is the only place outside of the US that George Washington ever visited. If it’s good enough for George, it’s good enough for me!
Have you been to Barbados? Would you recommend it?